If butter is your go-to for corn on the cob, please meet elote (see recipe below), Mexican-style corn coated with mayonnaise and sprinkled with cotija (or feta) cheese and chili powder.
This is a recipe from one of Chef Lee Anderson’s ‘Cooking on Maui With Chef Lee’ cooking classes, and it’s perfect to try, especially for Summer barbecues and get-togethers. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled cotija or feta cheese plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho or guajillo chili powder plus more for serving
- 1 medium clove garlic finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 4 ears shucked corn
- 1 lime cut into wedges
Light grill, medium high heat. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro in a large bowl. Mix well.
When grill is hot, place corn directly over hot side of grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred in spots on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
Transfer corn to bowl with cheese mixture and use a large spoon to evenly coat corn on all sides with mixture.
Sprinkle with extra cheese and chili powder and serve immediately with lime wedges.